Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Assignment 1: Given Circumstances (Part 1)

This assignment will be due by 11:59 pm on Wednesday, May 25th.


Given circumstances are the background details of your character.  Things like your characters age, gender, ethnicity, family status (are you an only child, or how many siblings do you have, do you come from a single parent background, etc...)  Given circumstances, in short, are the factual pieces of information that help create a 3 dimensional and dynamic character.  Without utilizing given circumstances, you will be left with a flat, boring, uninteresting character (or worse, you will have a caricature instead of a character.)
Some examples of given circumstances include (but are not limited to) the following:
  • Age
  • Gender
  • Ethnicity/Heritage
  • Socioeconomic status (Rich?  Poor?  Upper-middle class, lower middle-class, etc.)
  • Marriage/Romantic status (are you single, married, divorced, too young to get married but have a significant other, etc.)
  • Academic standing:  particularly useful in this show!  Are you a 4.0 student through and through?  Do you struggle and get mostly B's and C's?  Or are you on the brink of repeating your Junior year due to the 6 F's on your report card?  Also, what extracurricular activities are you a part of?  Are you going to college?  If so, where?  Harvard?  Yale?  Peducah Community College?)
  • Family: What is your family dynamic?  Are both parents together in your home?  Do you have siblings?  If so, how many?  Where in the sibling 'line' are you?  Are you the oldest?  Youngest?  Middle kid?  Or are you the only child?  Do you have an extended family?  Aunts? Uncles? Cousins?
Given circumstances come in 3 main categories: direct, indirect, and intuited.

Direct given circumstances are pieces of information that are taken directly from the script.  When citing your direct given circumstances, you can usually refer directly to a page in the script where the piece of information is clearly and undeniably stated:

  • Example: On page 24 your character flat out states "I am 16 years old!" - This is a clear and direct piece of evidence stating your character's age.
  • Example: On page 12 when your character's mom or dad says "Next year when you go to Yale..." - This is a clear and direct piece of evidence stating that your character is graduating from high school and going to college, specifically YALE.
  • Example: On page 17 your character's boyfriend says "We're breaking up..." - This is a clear and direct piece of evidence stating that your character was in a relationship (on page 16) and is now single on page 17.

Indirect given circumstances (also known as inferred given circumstances) are pieces of information about your character that are alluded to or hinted at, but are not directly stated.  You can still cite a page, but you'll have to do a little bit of calculations and deduction to come to a solid conclusion:

  • Example: On page 32 your character receives a new beach-house in the Maldives from his/her parents for his/her 16th birthday.  While the script doesn't flat out state that your character's parents make over  5 million dollars a year, you can easily deduce that your character (and his/her parents) are quite wealthy.
  • Example: Part 1: On page 76 the script your character turns green with nausea when offered a bite of a hamburger. Part 2: On page 79 your character is heard screaming "Meat is murder!"  Judging from these two pieces of evidence, you could deduce that your character is vegetarian or vegan.
  • Example: From page 21 to page 76, your character recites the entire first act of Hamlet from memory. You could easily conclude several things: Your character is well read, your character is a Shakespeare geek or your character is an aspiring Shakespearean actor.
  • Example: On page 87, your character says "Hey boss, I have to pick up some over-time this week.  I gotta take my car back into the shop..." You can deduce several items about your character: 1) She/he is old enough to drive. 2) Drives. 3) Has a full-time job that pays hourly. 4) Your character's car isn't top-of-the-line and needs a lot of repair work (they have to take their car back into the shop.)
We'll get into intuited (or created) given circumstances next week.  Right now we'll just concentrate on direct and indirect given circumstances.
  • Your assignment (due by next Wednesday at 11:59 pm) is to investigate the script/libretto and find 10 pieces of direct given circumstances and 5 pieces of indirect given circumstances (for a total of 15 pieces of given circumstances).
  • Please write up your given circumstances IN THE COMMENTS for this blog (yes, so everyone can benefit from seeing your work).
  • If you are playing multiple characters, then yes, you will be asked to find the given circumstances for EACH. (Yes, even if you're playing a character who only appears on stage for half of a page.  Obviously for these characters, finding 10/5 pieces of given circumstances will be difficult.  Grab/find what you can!  If you can only 4/3 pieces of given circumstances that are based in FACT, then that will suffice.)

DOs of Given Circumstances:
  1. DO keep it simple.  Stick with the clear facts that the script provides.  Put on your Sherlock Holmes hat and go digging for clues and evidence.
  2. DO refer to yourself as the character in the first-person "I am 16 years old." "I am a vegetarian Shakespeare geek with a new beach-house in the Maldives."
  3. DO refer clearly to evidence and cite page numbers.
  4. DO be as specific as the script will allow.  If the script states that you make $7,740,000 a year, then say so.  If the script says you're 16 years old, then say so.  Avoid statements like "I'm a rich teenager" which is vague and unclear.
  5. DO stick to the script/facts.  (We'll get into creative/intuited given circumstances next time, which will give us more freedom to take pieces of evidence and create new ideas.  For now, imagine you are a private investigator.  Just the facts... just the facts.)
  6. DO fully read the script (and not just YOUR parts).  MUCH of the given circumstances of your character can be gleaned from what OTHER characters say about you.
DON'Ts of Given Circumstances:
  1. DO NOT fall into the trap of being too clever and creative at this stage.  We are relying on just the facts that the script/libretto gives us.
  2. DO NOT fall into the trap of making value judgments about your character.  (For those of you looking ahead to college, this is a BIG DEAL.)  In other words, don't mistake statements like "I'm a spoiled brat." or "I'm a really nice guy." or "I'm kooky and funny." as given circumstances or evidence.  These statements are value judgments of the character and it has no place in the character building process.  While these statements could be generally agreed upon, they are based in opinion.  Avoid opinion, and look for the facts.
  3. DO NOT limit yourself.  If you find more than 5 pieces of information that are important, share them.
  4. DO NOT involve yourself in the creation/investigation of other actors' given circumstances.  You all are very helpful and selfless people, and we love you for it.  But the creation of a character is meant to be very personal work.  Concentrate on the investigation of your own character.  It causes tension and creates a muddy landscape when other actors starting telling other actors what they should and should not do/think/say/feel about their own character work.  Don't do it!
If you have questions about this assignment, go ahead and leave them in the comments.  If you have a question/concern about anything else, please please please do not leave them in the comments.  Email myself, Mr. Alford, Mrs. Johnson, or Ms. Parsons.

GO WILDCATS!

18 comments:

Mr. Gerber said...

Remember: Add the given circumstances you've found into the comment section!

Mr. Gerber said...

Don't forget to choose an identity by clicking on "Name/URL" and enter your name.

Lydia Bullen said...

Hey! So, I'm playing five different characters. Only two of them have lines and nobody really talks about any of them, so I'm having a difficult time finding any definite given circumstances for them. I may POSSIBLE be able to figure a few things, but other then that...

Mr. Gerber said...

Lydia, just find as much as you can. Be sure to read the rest of the script to see if other characters mention something about you. Remember that it isn't about the amount of lines.

Hannah Easton said...

Hi my name is Hannah Easton. I am playing Sharpay. Here some of my characters given circumstances:
Age: 16
Gender: girl
Academic standing: mostly A's and B's
Family: have one brother Ryan and a mother and father who are together. I am older than Ryan by 8 minutes exactly.
Activities: President of the Drama club at my school, pursues theatre outside of school.
My relationship status: not with anyone yet, but I have a crush on Troy
Socioeconomics: rich; We don't really worry about the money, I normally get what I want. I have my own agent, and at least 2 different phones that I use.

Here are some direct given circumstances:
I've been in 17 school musicals(page 60)
I always carry an extra phone with me incase my agent calls(page 45)
I haven't been beaten out in a musical since kindergarten(page 78)
I have an extra change of clothes in my locker as well as a full length mirror(page 85)
I am the President of the Drama Club( page 114)


Here are some indirect given circumstances:
I like troy (I always try to flirt with him; page 29 "Promise you'll come watch me in the musical" and "he totally likes me")
I don't like Zeke ( page 85 "I'd rather suck mucous from a dog's nostril till his skull caves in" is my response to him asking me to watch him play basketball)
I am jealous of Gabriella (page 46 when I get Ryan to print out Gabriella's previous school records and go put them in Taylor's locker, "That way we can make sure Gabriella gets into school activities that keep her far away from Troy Bolton")
I am rich ( I have an agent and an extra cell phone, my locker has a mirror in it and extra clothes in it if need be)
I am always telling Ryan what to do ( page 45 "Ryan it's me I need to do something right now" and "did you Google that Montez hag liked I asked")


Mr. Gerber said...

Good stuff, Hannah!

Katy Grunstra said...

Hi i'm Katy Grunstra and i am playing Taylor McKessie. Here are some given circumstances for Taylor:
Age: 16
Gender: girl
Socieoconomics: Well off but not as rich as Sharpay.
Academics: straight A student
Family: I don't have any siblings, and my parents are together.
Activities: President of the Science Club and Captain of the Science Decathlon team. Computer geek.
Relationship status: I am not in a relationship and have a small crush on Chad.



Direct circumstances:
I've never had detention in my life (page 26)
I don't like that Gabriela is auditioning for the play and work with Chad to stop it. (page 85)
I know some French. (Page 85)
I think Jocks are boneheads and brainiacs are the future of civilization. (page 92)
I can do anything with my computer. (page 101)
I'm in the brainiac clique. (page 47)



Indirect circumstances:
I'm the captain of the Science Decathlon team. (I recruit Gabriela to join the team without asking anyone's permission. Page 45-47.)
I think Chad is an idiot.(page 26 when I make fun of Chad by saying "That could be tough for Chad, since he probably can't count that high.")
I'm an extrovert. (I introduce myself easily to Gabriela on page 18 and pages 46 and 47 I convince Gabriela to join the Science Decathlon team.)
I see no value in other academics,("Do you think these paragons of education and accomplishment concerned themselves with Jocks of auditioning for musicals?"pages 90-92) but starts to see the value in other abilities and what they bring to the group. (101 and the song "We're all in this together")

Hannah Alford said...

Hi my name is Hannah Alford. (not to be confused with Hannah Easton) I will be playing Jackie Scott and a Jock (who I have named Felicity RoseWood)


Here are some Direct Given Circumstances for Jackie Scott

My name is Jackie Scott though I would prefer to be called the "Velvet Fog of East High!"(page 25)
I am a 16 year old girl.
I am the PA Announcer. (page 25)
And I also Annouce games. (page 100)


Here are some indirect given circumstances.

I have good grades mostly A's though I do get into detention frequently...(page 46)

I am pretty scared or Ms. Darbus(page 46 "or face the wrath of Darbus the Merciless. Page 98 " the callbacks for Juliet and Romeo have been moved up to... tomorrow at 3:00 pm at the same time as the Science Decathlon and the basketball championship! - but [ms Darbus cuts me off]

I am friends with Troy. (Page 98 "Sorry Troy")

I also love to give people nicknames! (Page 25 "Taylor 'Learning Curve' McKessie", page 27 "red-hit composer babe Kelsi Nielsen", page 46 " Darbus 'the merciless'

Here are some direct given circumstances for my Jock (Felicity RoseWood

I am a girl
I am 16 years old
I play Basketball.
I am a fan of "Thunderclap" Hap Hadden (page 90)

Indirect given circumstances
I think Our team needs to focus and play hard or we aren't going to win. (Pages 30-43)
I think everyone should stay were they belong. The school works just fine the way it is! (Pages 68-83)

Harrison said...

I am Harrison and I play Zeke Baylor.

Age: 15
Wealth: Middle class
Family: Two parents (together), one older brother.
School: Mostly B's.

Direct given circumstances:
I love to bake p.68
I bake scones, strudel, and apple pandowdy. p.69
I want to make the perfect creme brulee. p.69
I dial a cellphone to stop Troy and Gabriella. p.95
I am a jock. p.14
I think Sharpay totally likes me. p.85
I am sorry Sharpay didn't get the lead. p.127

Indirect given circumstances:
I am a fan of Sam Slamma-jamma-Netletter. p.90
I think that the plan to get Troy and Gabriella to sing and to play and to have the science contest is impossible. p.100

I also play a student.
His name is Fred.

Direct given circumstances:
None.
Indirect given circumstances:
None.

Lydia Bullen said...

Hi folks! My name is Lydia Bullen and I'm playing Mongo! Here is a bit of information on said person:

Age: 16
Gender: Girl
I struggle a bit with school, getting mostly C's or D's, with the occasional E,F, or B.
Ripper is my hero and I'll follow her example no matter what.
Socioeconomic Status: Either lower middle-class or poor.
Relationship status: Single with no significant other.


Direct Given Circumstances:
I have no idea what a cello is(73).
I do not like wearing formal clothes.
Hobbies: Skateboarding.

Indirect Given Circumstances:
I probable don't play any musical instruments(Pg. 73 Mongo: "Do you have to wear a costume?" Ripper: "Jacket and tie." Mongo: "That's uncalled for!" I have no idea what to wear while playing an instrument and, besides, I detest dressing up, which I'd need to do at recitals.)

Elijah Bullen said...


Hello my name is Elijah Bullen and I will be playing Chad Danforth.

Age:15
Gender:Male
Socioeconomic status:Middle class.
Marriage/romantic status:I am not in a relationship with anybody though by the end of the play I have a crush on Taylor.
Academic standing:Mostly C's with an occasional B.
Family:My parents are together and I have two older siblings in college.

Direct given circumstances
I think that Troy's dad is tough(page 30)
I don't think that Troy should be in the musical(page 48)
I have a watch(page 85)
I believe that Troy was born to lad the team(page 89)
I am a fan of "Spider"Bill Natrine(page 90)
I think that "Spider"Bill Natrine, Sam "Slamma-Jamma" Netletter, and "Thunderclap" Hap Haddon, are Wildcat legends.

Indirect given circumstances.
Ms.Darbus makes me nervous.(Page 26)
I do not think that musicals are important.(pages 48 and 90)
Wining the championship is important to me.(page 99)
I care about Troy.(pages 96 and 100)

Lydia McCraw said...

Hi guys! I’m Lydia McCraw and I will be playing Martha Cox.

Age: 16
Gender: Female
Socioeconomic status: Middle class
relationship status: I’m single, focused on my work, and don’t really care about being in a relationship right now.
Academics: All A’s.
Family: My parents are together. I have one younger sister.


direct given circumstances:
Gabriella has changed my entire life (page 70)
Hip hop is my passion (page 71)
I sometimes think dancing is cooler than homework (page 71)
I’m a fan of Madame Curie. (page 90)
I’m intelligent (page 70) -“look at me and what do you see? Intelligence beyond compare.”
I’m a brainiac.


indirect given circumstances:
I admire and look up to Gabriella…pg 70- “Gabriella, you’ve changed my entire life!"
I want Gabriella to stay focused/invested in her academics and on her goals. (“forget about ‘you know who’”…page 90)

Annie Dawson said...

Hello! I am Annie and I will be playing several people


"Ripper"

Direct Given Circumstances:


I call people "dude" (72)

I am a skater dudette (72)

I play cello(73).

I dress up to play the cello






Indirect Given Circumstances:

I love playing the Cello (72 "awesome sensation")

I play for people (73"Jacket and tie." few people dress up for their bedroom mirror)

I know troy (73 "If Troy can be in a show, I'm coming clean")

Troy inspired me



likely: I play with people eg an orchestra



Ms. Tenny

I am a chemistry teacher (44)

I encourage my students (44)

I am in charge of the decathlon (107)



Implied

I am an adult (44 I am teaching)

I keep to time limits (44 "you have 2 minutes" 108)

I am attentive to my students (44 "Gabriella")

I am teachable (44 "Well.... you are correct")

I do not countenance bending of rules (108 "No coaching from the sidelines"

I know my students (44 I call Gabriella by her first name though she is new, and 108 call Taylor out for talking) but in praising or scolding keep thing professional (44 "Ms. Montez"108 "Ms. McKessie"



I am likely adult sponsor of East High's decathlon team (44 "welcome to the team")



Cyndra



I have operatic aspirations (14)

I can break glass with my voice (53)



Implied

I sing loudly and shrilly in my upper registers (53 "breaks glass")

I am interested in musical theater (53 auditioning for a musical)

Jake said...

Hi my name is Jake Surber and I will be playing Ryan, here are some of my given circumstances
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Academics: A’s and B’s for the most part
Family: I have one sister who unfortunately happens to be 8 minutes older than I am, I also have 2 happily married parents.
Activities: I am the vice president of the drama club and I pursue theatre outside of school.
Socioeconomics: We are rich; We don’t worry about money, Sharpay normally gets what she wants. Sharpay and I share an agent, And Sharpay and I both have spare phones.

Here are some direct given circumstances
I am the vice president of the drama club (page 14)
Sharpay and I have a rehearsal pianist (page 56)
Sharpay and I have an agent (page 45)
We also carry 2 phones at all times (page 45)


Here are some of my indirect given circumstances
I follow the status quo (76 when I sing “something’s not right)
I listen to what Sharpay tells me to do (page 45&46 “Did you Google that Montez hag like I asked?” to which I respond, “Yeah, it’s like she has an extra brain or something.”
I do typically agree with Sharpay(page 66-67 from “Right. Rule number one” to “stick to status quo”)
It is possible however for me to disagree with Sharpay (page 86 “But it’s a big fat lie! Besides, she’ll never believe that.” And page 114 “Mrs. Darbus, Troy wasn’t trying to screw up the auditions. Sharpay lied to you because she was afraid of losing the part)

Katie Bolling said...

Hi I'm Katie Bolling and I will be playing Kelsi Nielson!

Age: 16
Gender: Female
Socioeconomic status: Middle Class
Relationship Status: Not with anyone yet

Direct given circumstances:
-I wrote this year's school musical "Juliet and Romeo" (p.25)
-I play the piano (p.50)
-I wear glasses (p.60)
-This is the first show I have written (p.60)
-I'm usually in the music room during free period, after school and sometimes during biology class (p.66)
-I can play the accordion (p.66)
-I don't think it's fair that they scheduled the Callbacks, the science decathlon, and the basketball championships at the same time. (p.99)
-I like Jackie Scott's voice (p.126)

Indirect given circumstances:
-I don't really like the way Sharpay and Ryan perform "What I've been Looking for" (p.60-62, I ask Gabriella and Troy if they want to hear they way the song is supposed to sound)
-I'm pretty scared of Sharpay, and don't usually stand up for myself (p.60-61, I call Sharpay "sir" and "the most powerful witch" )
-I like Troy and Gabriella and the way they perform "What I've been Looking for" (p.63-64, I say "Awesome!" as they are singing)
-I'm very clumsy (I trip or stumble on pages 60,62 and 126)
-Troy gives me the idea for the finale of the show, which is Breaking Free (p.66, Troy says he feels like he is soaring and flying, and I quickly write down the phrases in my notebook )

Noah Johnson said...

Hey, guys! I'm Noah! I'll be playing Troy. Here's some of my given circumstances.

Direct:
I am Captain of basketball team at East High (page 29)
I have a cell phone (page 22 and page 25)
I am the son of the coach of the basketball team (page 30)
I snowboard (page 29)
I don't want to be known for just basketball (page 84)
I had a great time with Gabriella at the New Year's party (page 22)
I get the championship game ball (page 126)
I have never won a championship before this one (page 16)
I like What I've Been Looking For (page 62)
I don't think people should stick to the status quo (page 74)
I think people should follow their dreams (page 74)
I'm late to at least 3 basketball practices (page 88, page 29, and page 48)

Indirect:
I am single (page 22)
I have never been in a musical (page 48)
I think Darbus is crazy (page 28)
I hate my dad calling me Bolton (page 88)
I'm not interested in Sharpay (page 17 and page 29)
I don't get detention often (page 26)
I'm embarrassed to tell people about singing (page 28 and page 48)
I like Gabriella (page 22 and page 36)
I'm impressed by Kelsi (page 62)

Sunshine Hughes said...

Hello! My name is Sunshine Hughes and I am playing Gabriella Montez!

DIRECT GIVEN CIRCUMSTANCES:
I am shy (pg 18)
I went on a ski trip over winter break (pg 18)
I believe that I cannot sing well (pg 19)
My mother is alive (pg 21)
I have a cell phone (pg 22/26)
I am a new student at East High (pg 26/28)
I do not want to participate in any after school activities because I want to get adjusted to my new school (pg 28/45)
I've attended multiple schools prior to attending East High (pg 84)
I have always been the "freaky math girl" at my other schools, and hated it (pg 84)
I think Kindergarten was cool (pg 84)
It is easier for me to sing without a lot of people watching (pg 116)
I have never heard the theatre term "break a leg" before (pg 127)

INDIRECT GIVEN CIRCUMSTANCES:
I like to read (pg 18, "all I did was read")
I can be sarcastic at times (pg 28, "nice penmanship")
I'm very intelligent (pg 44, "I'm very impressed" and "you're a genius", etc)
I don't find equations to be difficult ("please, it's just an equation")
I don't think getting a callback is a big deal (pg 78, "it's just a callback")
I really care about Troy and our friendship/relationship (pg 96, I cry after hearing everything he says)
I have stage fright (pg 116, my reaction)
I find comfort in Troy (pg 116)
I'm not a 'theatre kid' (pg 127, "huh")

Abigail Bullen said...

Hey! I'm Abby Bullen and I am playing Ms. Darbus. I already tried to publish this once, so I apologize if it shows up 2x.

Given circumstances:

Age: Adult (I'm going to assume around 40?)
Gender: Girl
Relationship Status: Apparently single as I'm Ms. Darbus.
Activities: High school drama teacher

Direct given circumstances:
I don't understand why the athletic department gets preferential treatment.(pg 49)
I don't like coach Bolton (pg 49)
I take my shows very seriously. (pg 62)
My chapel of the arts is so important to me that I am willing to go bursting into enemy territory to confront them. (pg 87)
I am very strict and punctual. (pg 62, pg 114)

Indirect given circumstances:

My students do not appreciate me. (pg 28)
I hate cell phones. (pg 26)
I love the theater and have a strong passion for teaching drama to the next generation, even if it means means keeping them in the theater by force. (pg 46)
The theater program is not doing so great and I'm trying hard to keep it afloat. (pg 26, pg 114)
I can still be truthful, and encouraging to my students in the face of a complete and painful lack of talent. (pg 51)